The Data Dictionary is a module that, for specific file types, automatically detects column names and data types used within these specific columns.
What can I do with the Data Dictionary?
The Data Dictionary can be used to describe the content of a dataset more explicitely using labels and descriptions.
The Data Dictionary form allows entering the following values for each column:
- Type Override: the type to be used the next time DataPusher is run to load data into this column
- Label: a human-friendly label for this column
- Description: a full description for this column in markdown format
Data Dictionary table in CKAN:
Does every datasource have a Data Dictionary?
No, only certain file types support Data Dictionary functionality. Currently supported file formats for datasources in Dataplatform are: CSV, XLS, and XLSX.
If the datasource is uploaded to the DataStore correctly, the Data Dictionary table will be added.
Where can I find the Data Dictionary?
The Data Dictionary can be viewed in CKAN as well as on the Portal.
Click on a dataset -> click on a datasource
Click on a dataset -> Click on the tab Table -> Click on Data dictionary
How to edit the Data Dictionary of a datasource
The Data Dictionary can be edited within your CKAN instance
1. Within a dataset, click on the Explore button of the datasource you want to edit and then click on Edit
2. Go to the tab Data dictionary
3. Edit Type/Label/Description
4. Lastly, click the save button shown below
Changes as shown in the Portal: